Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spicy Fried Tofu

photo65

Ok, so I found this recipe while googling around the internet for some sort of yummy tofu I could make for Sabbath. And here I found it. It is REALLY good!

 

1 lb tofu (preferably frozen and then thawed first)

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp sweet basil

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp curry powder ( I DID NOT use this, since I do not like curry)

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbsp soy sauce

 

I always like to freeze my tofu before using it in stir-fries and such. It gives it a much better texture and stays together better. I usually like to freeze mine for at least 48 hrs, then thaw just before ready to use it in a recipe.

First drain the tofu and pat dry with a paper towel, then cut into 1/2-in cubes.

Heat oil and sauté tofu over high heat for 5 minutes.

If there is any excess water, pour it out. Reduce heat, and add turmeric, stir until tofu is uniformly yellow and then add basil thyme, cumin, and curry powder (if you choose to use it).  And garlic (and a little more oil to prevent from sticking, if needed). Increase heat;then add soy sauce. Sauté until golden brown.

Serve over rice, in pita bread or in rollup up tortillas with shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese. Use any of your favorite toppings.This tastes just as good the next day. 

No comments: